- It’s hard to get good, consistent figures, but the data we do have suggest that school shooting incidents are declining, not increasing. I’d imagine a lot of people would also be surprised at just how low the total figures are.
- How the criminal justice system erodes democratic citizenship.
- The American Civil Liberties Union makes disturbing new allegations of abuse of undocumented immigrants in federal prisons.
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection fires its head of internal affairs.
- Bad: In a case of mistaken identity, the sheriff’s office in Clay County, Fla., arrested the wrong woman. Worse: The department then kept her jailed for nearly a month. Worst: It’s the second time the department has done this.
Radley Balko blogs about criminal justice, the drug war and civil liberties for The Washington Post. He is the author of the book "Rise of the Warrior Cop: The Militarization of America's Police Forces."