The problem with most summer salads is that they lack substance.
This quick mix of refreshing chilled ingredients offers an intriguing contrast of textures along with some staying power thanks to the cheese and seafood. Serve with country bread.
- 1 bunch arugula, washed and dried
- 3 to 4 thick slices watermelon
- 4 to 6 ounces feta cheese
- Olive oil, to taste
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds peeled, cooked shrimp, preferably chilled
- Freshly ground black pepper
Wash and dry the arugula. Tear it into large pieces and divide among 4 plates.
Seed the watermelon, if necessary, and cut it into bite-size chunks. Divide the watermelon among the plates of arugula.
Crumble the feta into large chunks over the watermelon.
Drizzle olive oil and a few drops of vinegar over each plate and top with shrimp. Season generously with salt and pepper to taste.
Tested by Renee Schettler.
E-mail questions to the Food Section at email@example.com.