There is no reason why children with cholesterol problems should be deprived of banana splits. Here is a lightened version of the old favorite; a simple chocolate sauce is made with water instead of with cream.
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, such as Hershey's Dark Chocolate Sticks, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon hot water, plus more as needed
- 2 cups nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt
- 1 banana, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch diagonal slices
- 1 cup canned pitted cherries, drained (not maraschino)
- 12 tablespoons from a 7-ounce can of whipped cream, such as Reddi-Wip Original
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces or nut topping
Combine the chocolate and water in a small, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH for 15 seconds; remove and whisk vigorously.
Whisk in additional hot water by drops as needed to achieve the desired consistency.
Place a spoonful of the chocolate sauce in each individual sundae dish. Add a few scoops of the yogurt; divide the banana slices and cherries among the dishes. Drizzle each with the remaining chocolate sauce, then top each portion with 3 tablespoons of the whipped cream and the nuts.
From chef-owner Todd Gray of Equinox restaurant.
Tested by Todd Gray.
E-mail questions to the Food Section at email@example.com.