Fresh berries, herbs and orange juice are recommended here. This salad may be made up to 2 hours in advance.
- For the salad
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) coarsely chopped walnuts (may substitute slivered almonds)
- 1 pint (2 cups) blueberries, washed and drained, stems removed
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped tarragon
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups wild rice (or combination of wild and white rice), cooked and cooled
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) cooked turkey breast (or chicken breast), cut into strips or chunks
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 orange, peeled, seeded and cut into segments
- For the salad dressing
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil (optional)
For the salad: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Place walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 5 to 7 minutes, until lightly toasted. Set aside to cool.
In a large bowl, combine the blueberries, sugar, tarragon and salt and pepper to taste, and stir to combine. Let stand 15 minutes. Add the rice, chicken or turkey and the toasted walnuts.
For the salad dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, vinegar, parsley, thyme and the walnut oil, if desired. Pour over the blueberry-rice mixture and toss to combine. Adjust seasonings.
To serve, divide the lettuce and orange segments among individual plates. Top each with some of the blueberry salad mixture. Serve at room temperature.
Adapted from a recipe on the Web site of the U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council.
Tested by Candy Sagon.
E-mail questions to the Food Section at email@example.com.