This makes enough tart slaw for any nachos you put together. You'll have enough left over to use as a topping or side for sandwiches.
Make Ahead: The slaw needs to marinate for 2 hours. It can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Servings: 6 cups
- 4 jalapeño peppers, stemmed, seeded and cut lengthwise into thin slivers (julienne)
- 1/2 large head green cabbage, cored and shredded (8 to 9 cups)
- 2 large carrots, peeled and shredded (scant 2 cups)
- Leaves from 1 small bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Combine the jalapeno peppers, cabbage, carrots and parsley in a large bowl. Add the vinegar and toss to coat evenly, then add the salt and sugar. Mix well, then cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours, then drain in a colander.
The slaw is ready to use right away; or transfer it to a heavy-duty plastic resealable food storage bag, seal and refrigerate for up to 4 days, shaking to redistribute the contents each day.
Adapted from David Suarez, chef and culinary director at Rosa Mexicano.
Tested by Bonnie S. Benwick.
E-mail questions to the Food Section at email@example.com.