This is an unbelievably easy salad to make. Its ingredients are available year-round. Grilled chicken may be substituted for the shrimp.
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt, plus more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 large uncooked, peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 champagne mango, cut into thin slices (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 to 1 Hass avocado, cut into 3/4-inch dice or slices
- 1/4 small red onion, cut into 5 or 6 very thin slices
- 1 tablespoon cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
Combine the sea salt and cumin in a small bowl. Use the mixture to lightly dust the shrimp.
Heat 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil in a medium skillet over high heat; swirl to coat the pan evenly. Add the shrimp and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until they are just opaque, then turn them over and cook for 30 seconds or so. Remove from the heat.
Fan the mango slices on a dinner plate. Arrange the shrimp, avocado and red onion on top. Sprinkle with the chopped cilantro, then drizzle with remaining tablespoon of olive oil and the lime juice. Sprinkle with sea salt to taste. Serve immediately.
From staff writer Jane Black.
Tested by Jane Black.
E-mail questions to the Food Section at email@example.com.