This sweet pudding can be served warm or cold.
Servings: 9 - 10
- 4 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup roasted, unsalted cashews, plus more, coarsely chopped, for optional garnish
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup golden raisins, or to taste (optional)
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled, trimmed and grated
- 28 ounces (2 cans) sweetened condensed milk
- 8 to 10 green cardamom pods
- 1/2 cup sugar, or to taste
Melt 2 tablespoons of the ghee in a medium nonstick pot or heavy-bottomed enameled pot over medium heat. Add the whole cashews (to taste) and the raisins (to taste), if using, and stir to coat evenly. Cook for a few minutes, stirring, until lightly browned.
Add the carrots and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, then add the sweetened condensed milk, cardamom pods and sugar; stir to incorporate. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook uncovered for about 2 hours, stirring often to keep the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pot. The milk will have cooked down, and the mixture should become darker in color. Remove from the heat; if desired, remove the cardamom pods. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of ghee until it has melted.
Divide among individual dessert bowls; garnish with chopped cashews, if desired.
From Laurel resident Violet Dorai Singh and Washington resident Daniel Phoenix Singh.
Tested by Bonnie S. Benwick.
E-mail questions to the Food Section at firstname.lastname@example.org.