Instead of herbs and mushrooms, the home cook could use minced chili peppers and red onion. Serve with baked tortilla chips.
Servings: 4 .
- 1 pound fresh grouper fillet (may substitute red snapper)
- 1/2 small white onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh marjoram
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 6 button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 10 green olives, pitted and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Cut the fish into medium dice. Place in a nonreactive (not aluminum, copper or cast-iron) container.
In a blender, puree the chopped onion, garlic, lime juice and vinegar. Pour over the fish and toss to coat. Refrigerate for 8 to 10 hours.
Drain off half of the liquid. Gently fold in the fresh herbs, mushrooms, olives and oil. Season to taste with salt. Serve immediately.
Recipe from chef Jeff Tunks of Ceiba.
Tested by Renee Schettler.
E-mail questions to the Food Section at email@example.com.