Save these rich, decadent mashed potatoes for the coldest, dreariest winter day.
Servings: 8 - 10
- 5 large Yukon Gold or russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 to 3 14.5-ounce cans chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2 cups shredded smoked gouda cheese
- 4 slices bacon, fried until crisp and drained
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
- Freshly ground black pepper
Place the potatoes and enough broth to barely cover them in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer just until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes, reserving the cooking liquid.
Return the potatoes and 1 cup of the cooking liquid to the pot and, using a potato masher or the back of a wooden spoon, mash until smooth. Add the butter and gouda and stir until incorporated and melted; do not overmix. If necessary, add more broth to attain the desired consistency. Stir in the bacon, sage and salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Adapted from Des Moines food writer Robin Kline.
Tested by Robin Kline.
E-mail questions to the Food Section at email@example.com.