This is a nice lunch dish.
Make Ahead: The salad ingredients may be combined and refrigerated up to 1 day in advance, except for the blueberries and salad dressing; refrigerate them all separately. Toss the berries and dressing in with the rest of the salad just before serving.
Yield: (about 1 1/2 cups each)
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, trimmed of fat
- 8 ounces whole-wheat fusilli or other corkscrew pasta
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, cut crosswise into thin slices
- 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (from 1 1/2 limes)
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, rinsed and picked over
Place the chicken in a large skillet or saucepan and add enough water to cover; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then cover, reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board to cool. Shred into bite-size strips.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Cook the pasta according to the package directions until just tender. Drain, then place in a large bowl.
Meanwhile, make the dressing: Combine the oil and shallot in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 5 minutes, until the shallot has softened and is beginning to brown. Add the broth, feta cheese and lime juice; cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 to 2 minutes, until the feta begins to melt.
Add the chicken to the bowl with the pasta, then add the thyme, lime zest and salt. Toss to combine. If serving this dish right away, add the dressing and blueberries. If making in advance, cover and refrigerate the elements separately: the seasoned pasta with chicken, the blueberries, the dressing.
From "The EatingWell Diet," from the editors of EatingWell Magazine (Countryman Press, 2009).
Tested by Bonnie S. Benwick.
E-mail questions to the Food Section at firstname.lastname@example.org.