Cool and beautifully green, this sauce is a snap to assemble; serve it with Aloo Tikki (see related recipe). It's also great with warm naan or flatbread, and on grilled or sauteed fish, chicken or vegetables.
Make Ahead: The chutney can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Servings: 2.5 cups
- Leaves from 1 large bunch cilantro, or from 1/2 large bunch cilantro and 1/2 large bunch mint
- 1 1/4 cups plain nonfat or low-fat yogurt
- 1 small green chili pepper, stemmed, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1-inch piece peeled ginger root, coarsely chopped or cut into coins
- 1 small yellow or white onion, cut into thin slices
- Freshly squeezed juice from 1/2 lemon (1 tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Combine the cilantro, yogurt, green chili pepper, ginger, onion, lemon juice and salt in a blender. Puree until smooth. Taste, and add salt as needed.
Serve right away, or transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Adapted from chef K.N. Vinod of Indique Heights in Chevy Chase.
Tested by Bonnie S. Benwick.
E-mail questions to the Food Section at email@example.com.