This easy condiment can be used to season rice and accompany beef kebabs. It is also a great addition to any simple grilled meat, chicken or fish. It can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Servings: 1.25 cups
- 1/2 large tomato
- 1/2 large red onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1 large lemon (2 to 3 tablespoons; optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder, preferably toasted
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, including the stems
- 1 cup loosely packed mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon sugar, or to taste
- Chili powder
In a blender, combine the tomato, onion, olive oil, the lemon juice, if using, salt, cumin, half of the cilantro, the mint, sugar and the chili powder to taste. Puree, adding the remaining cilantro in increments until the chutney's consistency has thickened (the chutney should not be pourable). Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
From Pritha Mehra of Falls Church.
Tested by Renae Merle.
E-mail questions to the Food Section at firstname.lastname@example.org.