This deeply flavored sauce mates well with pork ribs, Cornish hens and meaty fish, such as salmon. Brush on in the final minutes of cooking.
Servings: 2 cups
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo, chopped
- 1 cup strong coffee, brewed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Mix all ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Simmer until thick, about 20 minutes.
Refrigerate the sauce in an airtight container for up to one week.
From Smoke Signals columnist Jim Shahin.
Tested by Belle Elving.
E-mail questions to the Food Section at firstname.lastname@example.org.