You can use 16 ounces of frozen sweet corn in this sunny yellow side dish that is creamy and cheesy.
Make Ahead: Bake, cool, cover and refrigerate up to 1 day in advance; reheat covered in a 325-degree oven until warmed through.
Servings: 4 - 6
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup finely diced yellow onion
- 3 cups sweet corn kernels (bag of frozen corn kernels, 16 ounces)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup cream, milk or evaporated milk
- 1 cup grated cheese, such as fontina, cheddar or smoked Gouda
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped marjoram or 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Sweet paprika
Set an oven rack on the middle rung and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter a 6-cup gratin or baking dish.
In a medium skillet over low heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, just until it's soft and lightly colored, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over high heat, bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add the corn kernels and cook 1 minute, regardless of whether the water returns to a boil. Drain; set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, cream or milk, corn, cooked onion, cheese, parsley, if desired, marjoram and salt. Add pepper to taste. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with paprika. Bake until it is puffed and golden, about 45 minutes. Serve warm.
Adapted from "Local Flavors," by Deborah Madison (Broadway Books, 2002).
Tested by Candy Sagon.
E-mail questions to the Food Section at firstname.lastname@example.org.