Frozen peeled and deveined uncooked shrimp are the main pantry ingredient to have on hand.
Servings: 4 - 6
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into small dice
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2-inch piece of peeled ginger root, minced
- 3 tablespoons mild curry powder
- 1 cup unsweetened regular or reduced-fat coconut milk
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce (may substitute low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 to 2 medium vine-ripened tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 8 ounces frozen, peeled and deveined uncooked shrimp
- Fresh bean sprouts, for garnish
Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and ginger root; cook until the vegetables have softened. Add the curry powder and mix well; cook until fragrant. Add the coconut milk, vegetable broth, sugar and fish sauce, stirring to combine. Cook for 10 minutes, then add the tomatoes and the shrimp. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the shrimp is cooked through. Garnish with the bean sprouts; serve immediately.
From Mitchell Davis, author of "Kitchen Sense" (Clarkson Potter, 2006).
Tested by Mitchell Davis.
E-mail questions to the Food Section at firstname.lastname@example.org.