This slaw has a wonderful surprise. It looks mild, at first bite it tastes mild, and then the radish kicks in with a peppery flavor. It takes only minutes to throw together and would be a good accompaniment to grilled or roasted fish, seafood or even a chicken sandwich.
The salad is best served within an hour or two of when it is made; the grated radish will begin to lose its crunch after that.
- 1 pound daikon radish, trimmed, peeled and grated using the large holes of a box grater (2 1/2 cups total)
- 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream (do not use nonfat)
- 1 teaspoon sugar, plus more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoons snipped or chopped chives
Combine the grated radish, sour cream, sugar, salt and chives in a mixing bowl; mix well to incorporate and coat the vegetable.
Taste and adjust sugar or salt as needed. Serve immediately or within 2 hours.
From In Season columnist Stephanie Witt Sedgwick.
Tested by Stephanie Witt Sedgwick.
E-mail questions to the Food Section at email@example.com.