Welcome Christmas or ward off winter with this traditional Swedish beverage, which will make your house smell wonderful.
The drink is often garnished with a sprinkling of sliced almonds and raisins.
Yield: Makes 4 cups
- 10 whole black or brown cardamom pods, cracked
- 1 to 2 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 ounce (1 tablespoon) crystallized ginger
- 10 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon dried orange peel
- 1/2 cup golden or dark raisins
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 750-ml bottle good red wine , such as a cabernet sauvignon
- 3/4 cup vodka (optional)
Combine the cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks to taste, ginger, cloves, dried orange peel, raisins, sugar and wine in a large saucepan over medium or medium-low heat. Stir to mix well; add the vodka, if using. Cook until it is warmed through and small bubbles begin to form at the edges; do not let it come to a boil. The glogg will be fragrant.
Cover and let the mixture steep overnight at room temperature.
When ready to serve, strain the mixture and reheat over low heat until warmed through. Serve warm.
Adapted from a recipe by Swedish Caterers of Washington.
Tested by Jane Black.
E-mail questions to the Food Section at email@example.com.