Servings: 1 sandwich
- 2 slices Italian country bread
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, at room temperature
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into thin slices
- 1 ounce thinly sliced imported prosciutto di parma
- Handful of arugula leaves, washed and dried (optional)
Spread the butter on one side of each slice of bread. Set one slice, buttered side down, on a work surface and arrange the mozzarella slices on it. Top with the prosciutto and arugula. Lay the second slice of bread, buttered side up, on top of the sandwich.
Heat a dry nonstick skillet over medium heat; place the sandwich in the center. Cover and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until golden brown on the bottom (this will depend on how hot your burner is and the type of skillet you use; start checking after 2 minutes). Turn over the sandwich and press lightly with a spatula. Cover and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until the bottom is golden brown and the cheese has melted.
Transfer to a plate and cut in half. Serve hot.
From cookbook author Domenica Marchetti.
Tested by Domenica Marchetti.
E-mail questions to the Food Section at firstname.lastname@example.org.