Here's the perfect picnic version of an Asian side dish. It can be prepared and refrigerated up to 1 day ahead.
- For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili sauce with garlic, such as Tuong Ot Toi Viet Nam brand
- 1/2 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- Finely grated zest and juice from 1/2 large lime (about 1 teaspoon zest and 1 tablespoon of juice)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- For the salad
- 2 cups cooked jasmine rice
- 6 scallions, white and light-green parts, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 medium red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro leaves, for garnish
For the dressing: Whisk together the rice wine vinegar, dark brown sugar, fish sauce (if using), chili-garlic sauce, soy sauce, lime zest and juice, and oil in a large measuring cup.
Combine the rice and vegetables in a medium container. Add the dressing and toss to mix well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use (up to 1 day in advance).
Just before serving (or packing for a picnic), sprinkle the cilantro on the top.
From executive chef Carla Hall of Alchemy Caterers in Wheaton.
Tested by Pam Kendrick.
E-mail questions to the Food Section at email@example.com.