This refreshing salad makes a nice contrast to spicy curries and kebabs. Be sure to choose fruit that is slightly firm, so the salad doesn't turn to mush.
The salad takes about 20 minutes to prepare and can be made 1 day ahead; cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 medium tomato
- 1/2 large nectarine, pitted
- 1/2 medium apple, cored
- 1/2 large peach, pitted
- Juice of 1/2 large lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro leaves
Thinly slice or chop into thin chunks the cucumber, onion, tomato, nectarine, apple and peach; combine in a medium bowl. Add the lemon juice, salt, pepper and sugar, and mix well. Adjust seasoning as necessary. When ready to serve, garnish with the cilantro.
From Pritha Mehra of Falls Church.
Tested by Leslie A. Garcia.
E-mail questions to the Food Section at firstname.lastname@example.org.