Yes, it's chicken. What would a week of family meals be without it? But it smells fabulous as it cooks, and it might introduce your family to some new flavors.
Serve this Greek Feta Chicken with roasted red potatoes and sauteed zucchini and onions (recipes included).
- For the potatoes
- 1 pound small redskin potatoes, washed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- For the chicken
- 4 four-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to uniform thickness
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 small green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 2 teaspoons finely minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 ounce crumbled feta cheese
- For the zucchini and onions
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 large zucchini, ends trimmed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil or oregano
- Lean Plate Club Pasta Family Dinner
- Lean Plate Club Quesadilla Family Dinner
- Lean Plate Club Salmon Family Dinner
- Lean Plate Club Steak Family Dinner
For the potatoes: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Have ready a large rimmed baking sheet.
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the potatoes and parboil (do not cook through) for 5 minutes, then drain in a colander. Cut the potatoes in half and place in a large bowl. Drizzle the oil over and toss to coat lightly. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Place the seasoned potatoes cut side down on the baking sheet. Roast for 30 to 40 minutes. Serve hot.
For the chicken: Sprinkle the chicken breasts with oregano, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes.
Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, until the oil shimmers. Add the chicken breasts, working in batches if necessary, and cook on each side for about 4 to 5 minutes, until the chicken is lightly browned. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining oil. Add the bell peppers and cook for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the lemon juice and cook for 1 minute. Return the chicken to the skillet. Top with feta cheese, cover and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until the cheese has slightly melted.
For the zucchini and onions: Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 4 to 6 minutes, stirring constantly. (The onion will be not be completely softened.)
While the onion is cooking, cut the zucchini into halves and then cut each half into 1/2-inch slices. Add to the skillet; season with salt and pepper to taste and the dried basil or oregano, stirring constantly. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring to combine the vegetables. Serve hot.
From nutritionist and cookbook author Robyn Webb.
Tested by Cindy Loose.
E-mail questions to the Food Section at firstname.lastname@example.org.