This marinade is suitable for chicken, pork, fish and seafood. Add fresh herbs, if desired, that suit personal tastes and complement the chosen protein, such as tarragon for chicken, rosemary for swordfish and dill for salmon.
Make Ahead: The marinade can be made a week in advance and refrigerated in an airtight container.
Yield: Makes 3/4 cup
- 2 medium cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme (may substitute 2 tablespoons fresh leaves, chopped)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 3 medium lemons (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Whisk together the garlic, thyme, sugar, salt, pepper, lemon juice and oil in a container with a tight-fitting lid. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
From columnist David Hagedorn.
Tested by David Hagedorn.
E-mail questions to the Food Section at email@example.com.