This filling can be poured into a prepared crust to be served as a frozen pie or layered with crumbled gingersnap cookies and whipped cream to create a parfait; see VARIATION, below.
Yield: Makes a 9-inch pie or 8 parfaits
- 3 3/4 cups (one 30-ounce can) pumpkin pie mix, such as Libby's brand
- 12 ounces silken soft tofu, such as Mori-Nu brand, drained
- Finely grated zest and juice from 1 lemon (2 teaspoons of zest and about 2 tablespoons of juice)
- 1 9-inch store-bought graham cracker crust
- 16 gingersnap cookies, crushed (optional; see VARIATION)
- 2 cups slightly sweetened whipped cream (optional; see VARIATION)
Combine the pumpkin pie mix, tofu, lemon zest and juice in a blender. Process on low speed to start, then increase the speed to high. Blend for 2 to 3 minutes, until the mixture is fully combined and smooth.
Pour the filling into the prepared graham cracker crust. Cover with aluminum foil and freeze for at least 3 hours, or until completely firm.
Fifteen minutes before serving, transfer the pie to the countertop to sit at room temperature so that it softens slightly. Use a knife that has been run under or dunked in hot water to cut the pie into slices, drying the knife blade between each cut.
VARIATION: If making parfaits, portion one-third of the mousse among 8 wine glasses. Divide the crushed gingersnaps over each portion, then layer with one-third of the mousse. Divide the remaining one-third of the mousse among the glasses, then top with equal amounts of whipped cream. Serve immediately.
From Leigh Lambert, editorial assistant of the Food section.
Tested by Leigh Lambert.
E-mail questions to the Food Section at firstname.lastname@example.org.