This hearty, Chinese-style entree can be served as is or over steamed jasmine rice.
Rock shrimp, preferably not frozen, are called for in the original recipe, but we also tested this using vegetarian "shrimp" (made from a soy-based protein) that were first defrosted.
Servings: 4 - 6
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons tamari or low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium shallot
- 1-inch piece ginger root, minced
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 8 ounces firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 scallions (root ends trimmed), including tops, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 1/2 pounds bok choy, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 9 ounces vegetarian shrimp, defrosted and cut in half horizontally (may substitute 12 ounces peeled and deveined rock shrimp)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
Combine the broth, tamari, vinegar and ketchup in a small bowl or measuring cup to form a sauce. Add the crushed red pepper flakes to taste.
Heat the oil in a large wok or large saute pan over medium-high heat until the oil shimmers. Add the shallot, ginger and garlic and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly, until fragrant. Add the tofu and scallions and stir gently to distribute evenly, being careful not to break up the tofu. Add the bok choy and the sauce mixture and cover; bring to a boil, increasing the heat if necessary. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, covered, for 10 minutes. Add the vegetarian shrimp; cover and cook for 2 minutes or until heated through (if using rock shrimp, cook for 5 minutes).
Meanwhile, combine the cornstarch and water in a small cup, then add to the wok or pan and cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute, until the sauce starts to thicken. Serve immediately.
Adapted from "The Asian Grill," by Corinne Trang (Chronicle, 2006).
Tested by Bonnie S. Benwick.
E-mail questions to the Food Section at firstname.lastname@example.org.