The dressing here is based on a Trader Joe's recipe that goes especially well with summer salads.
Make Ahead: Leftover dressing can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons powdered mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head butter-leaf lettuce, rinsed and dried, then torn into bite-size pieces
- 3 ripe Bartlett or Red Bartlett pears, peeled, cored and chopped (may leave unpeeled and cut into thin slices)
- 5 ounces Roquefort cheese, crumbled (may substitute Stilton blue cheese)
- Flesh of 1 avocado, cut into dice
- 3 or 4 scallions, white and light-green parts, cut crosswise into thin slices (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup candied pecan halves, for garnish
Combine the oil, vinegar, sugar, powdered mustard, garlic and salt in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Close tightly and shake to form an emulsified dressing. Season with pepper to taste, shaking to incorporate.
Toss together the lettuce leaves, pears, cheese, avocado and scallions in a mixing bowl. Pour half of the dressing over the mixture -- or to taste -- and toss to coat evenly.
Transfer to a platter or divide among individual plates. Sprinkle with the pecans; pass the remaining dressing at the table.
Adapted from Amy Harbison, a volunteer publicist for the Olney Farmers Market.
Tested by Jane Touzalin.
E-mail questions to the Food Section at firstname.lastname@example.org.