Here, bites of watermelon taste great with shrimp that has a little heat. If you'd rather use a grill pan on the stove to cook the shrimp, skip the bamboo skewers.
- 2 tablespoons Mexican seasoning (may substitute a mixture of cumin, dried onion, chili pepper and garlic powder)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dozen jumbo shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed
- 2 cups cubed, seeded watermelon
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1/4 cup diced green or yellow bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped and seeded jalapeño pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup peeled and diced seedless cucumber
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Have ready 8 bamboo skewers that have been thoroughly soaked in water.
On a large plate, combine the Mexican seasoning and cinnamon. Dredge the shrimp in the seasonings, and set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine the watermelon, pineapple, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, if desired, and cucumber. Cover and refrigerate.
In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, soy sauce, honey and olive oil until well combined; set aside.
When ready to cook the shrimp, prepare the grill. If using a gas grill, preheat the grill to medium-high. If using a charcoal grill, start the charcoal or wood briquettes. When the briquettes are ready, distribute the heated charcoal evenly under the cooking area for direct heat. Be sure to oil the grate with nonstick spray oil.
Thread the shrimp onto the soaked bamboo skewers and grill, turning once, for 5 to 6 minutes or until the shrimp are just opaque. Remove the shrimp from the skewers.
Divide the lettuce among individual plates and place the shrimp and watermelon mixture on the lettuce. Drizzle the dressing on top, and sprinkle with the chopped cilantro. Serve immediately.
Adapted from "Delicious Salad Meals," by Dot Vartan (Dorothy Jean Publishing, 2005).
Tested by Bonnie S. Benwick.
E-mail questions to the Food Section at email@example.com.