Scraps of salmon sliced in-house, available at many stores, can substitute for the sliced smoked salmon at half the price. Serve with pumpernickel or melba toast.
Servings: 1 cup
- 8 ounces smoked salmon pate or smoked salmon cream cheese
- 1 lemon, grated zest only
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 4 ounces sliced smoked salmon
- Chopped dill, parsley or chives, for garnish (optional)
In a small bowl, using a rubber spatula, combine the pate, lemon zest, dill, capers and a quarter of the smoked salmon until blended, retaining the chunky texture of the smoked salmon. Place in a serving crock. Pile the remaining smoked salmon on top and garnish with some chopped dill, parsley or chives, if desired. If not serving immediately, cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Adapted from chef and former restaurateur David Hagedorn.
Tested by Marcia Kramer.
E-mail questions to the Food Section at email@example.com.