With very little prep work, this combination of components plus dark bread becomes something special.
- 1 tablespoon regular or low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 slices pumpernickel bread
- 2 ounces smoked trout, flaked with a fork
- 1 ounce aged Gouda, cut into thin slices or crumbled
- 1/2 small to medium Granny Smith apple, cored and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- A few leaves of arugula or baby spinach
- Freshly ground black pepper
Spread the mayonnaise on one side of both pieces of the bread. Mound the trout on one of the dressed bread slices, then top with the cheese, the apple and the arugula. Season with pepper to taste. Top with the other slice of bread, mayo side down.
Cut in half and eat.
From "Serve Yourself: Nightly Adventures in Cooking for One" (Ten Speed Press, 2011), by Joe Yonan.
Tested by Joe Yonan.
E-mail questions to the Food Section at email@example.com.