This comes together in a snap and can be made 2 days in advance. Serve with bagels or baked bagel chips.
Yield: Makes about 1 1/2 cups (about 6 servings)
- 8 ounces whipped cream cheese
- 1/3 cup flaked smoked whitefish, skin and bones removed
- 2 teaspoons snipped chives
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sour cream (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cayenne pepper
Combine the whipped cream cheese, whitefish and chives in a small bowl; if the mixture is too stiff, add the sour cream, if desired, 1 tablespoon at a time until it reaches the desired consistency. Season with the black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Adapted from Fave Levy's "1,000 Jewish Recipes" (IDG Books, 2000).
Tested by Bonnie S. Benwick.
E-mail questions to the Food Section at email@example.com.