For best results, make sure the ingredients are at room temperature, and let the mixture chill for at least 1 hour for the flavors to develop. Serve with crackers or flatbread.
Servings: 2 cups
- 1 medium clove garlic, crushed
- 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese (do not use nonfat)
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt (may substitute low-fat sour cream)
- 2 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 1 1/4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley, stemmed and coarsely chopped (1/4 cup)
- 2 to 3 scallions, white and light-green parts, coarsely chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon mint leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons oregano leaves, chopped
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- Kosher salt (optional)
Combine the garlic, cream cheese, yogurt, feta cheese, lemon juice, parsley, scallion, mint, oregano, nutmeg and cinnamon in the bowl of a stand mixer or an electric hand-held mixer. Beat for about 3 minutes on low speed or until well combined; taste and add salt, if desired, blending by hand or on low speed. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour; serve chilled.
Adapted from "Perennial Favorites: Portable Food," from the Garden Club of Houston (March, 2008).
Tested by Mary Pat Flaherty.
E-mail questions to the Food Section at email@example.com.