A perennial favorite at this Cleveland Park eatery.
- 2 ounces peeled grated ginger root
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Pinch ground ginger
- Splash low-sodium soy sauce, plus more to taste
- 1 small head green cabbage, cored and cut into very thin slices
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into julienne (very thin strips)
- Store-bought pickled ginger root (to taste)
- Finely crushed peanuts, for garnish
Whisk together the grated ginger, lime juice, sugar, ground ginger and soy sauce in a liquid measuring cup to form a dressing. Taste and add soy sauce, if desired.
Toss together the cabbage, carrot and a generous amount of the pickled ginger root in a medium mixing bowl.
Drizzle the dressing over the vegetables and toss for at least a minute or two.
Scatter some finely crushed peanuts over the salad. Serve immediately.
Adapted from Spices restaurant in Northwest Washington.
Tested by Renee Schettler.
E-mail questions to the Food Section at firstname.lastname@example.org.