This is a bright, crunchy side dish that is full of veggies and is a great complement to the sweetness of the Chilled Teriyaki-Glazed Salmon.
Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- For the dressing
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 2 limes)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger root
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Asian-style chili paste
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon light sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- For the salad
- 1/2 large seedless English cucumber, quartered lengthwise and coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 scallion, white and light-green parts, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup roasted, unsalted peanuts, coarsely chopped, for garnish (optional)
For the dressing: Whisk together the garlic, lime juice, cilantro, ginger, curry powder, soy sauce, chili paste, oils and sugar in a medium bowl or deep measuring cup.
For the salad: Toss together the cucumber, cabbage, carrot, scallion and cilantro in a medium lidded container. Add the dressing to taste; close the lid and shake to mix well and coat evenly. Open to top the slaw with the chopped peanuts, if desired. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
From executive chef Carla Hall of Alchemy Caterers in Wheaton.
Tested by Madonna Lebling.
E-mail questions to the Food Section at firstname.lastname@example.org.