A flavor-packed vinaigrette makes this salad come alive. The dressing can be made a few days ahead and refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- 2 small cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons brined capers, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 6 cups loosely packed baby spinach (may substitute fresh greens of your choice), washed and dried
- 8 cremini mushrooms, trimmed and quartered or thinly sliced (may substitute any small mushrooms)
- 2 medium yellow tomatoes, cut into thin wedges
Lightly smash the garlic to remove the husks. Use the wet blade of a sharp knife to mince the garlic and the capers together; add a small pinch of kosher salt to form a paste. Transfer the paste to a small, lidded container and add the 1/4 teaspoon of salt, the vinegar and olive oil. Seal and shake vigorously until the dressing has emulsified.
Just before serving, combine the spinach, mushrooms and tomatoes in a mixing bowl. Drizzle with just enough of the vinaigrette to lightly coat the salad; toss well. Divide among individual plates and serve immediately; pass the remaining vinaigrette at the table.
From Frank Linn of Silver Spring.
Tested by Jane Black.
E-mail questions to the Food Section at firstname.lastname@example.org.