This unique salsa makes the most of seasonal produce that is at its peak flavor and can often be found at sale prices. It is best to use medium-ripe fruit that is juicy but can easily be diced into uniform small pieces.
The salsa can be made up to 2 days in advance but is best enjoyed the day it is prepared, served chilled. Try it with toasted tortilla chips.
- 1 medium peach, pitted but not peeled
- 1 medium nectarine, pitted but not peeled
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- Juice and finely grated zest of 1 large lime (1/8 teaspoon zest and 2 teaspoons of juice)
- Freshly ground black pepper
Cut the peach, nectarine and onion into 1/4-inch dice; place in a medium bowl. Add the lime juice and zest, stirring to combine, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Chill until ready to serve.
From Molly Marino, a private chef in Potomac.
Tested by Belle Elving.
E-mail questions to the Food Section at firstname.lastname@example.org.