If a hotel lobby full of carolers can't get visitors into the spirit, Jim Hewes's holiday cocktails might do the trick. The drink maker at the famed Round Robin Bar at the Willard InterContinental hotel in downtown Washington has created several house specialties, including this, his favorite.
Sometimes Hewes serves the Sugar Plum Toddy in a martini glass whose rim has been moistened with a wedge of orange and then dipped in his "cinnameg" concoction of sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- 1/2 cup no-sugar-added cranberry juice, such as Ocean Spray 100% Juice (not pure cranberry juice)
- 1 ounce citrus-flavored vodka, such as Absolut Mandarin
- 1/2 ounce peppermint schnapps, such as Rumplemintz
- 1/2 ounce raspberry-flavored liqueur, such as framboise
- 1 thin candy cane, for garnish
- 1 twist of orange peel, for garnish
- 1 gumdrop, for garnish
- Holiday Red Sangria Punch
- Mistletoe Mojito
- Sapphire Sugar and Spice Martini
- Silky Kiss
- The Sink or Swim
Heat the cranberry juice in a microwave or in a small saucepan over high heat until it is steaming.
Combine the vodka, peppermint schnapps and raspberry-flavored liqueur in a brandy snifter or ceramic mug. Add the hot cranberry juice. Garnish with a candy cane, twist of orange peel or gumdrop.
Adapted from Jim Hewes of the Round Robin Bar at the Willard InterContinental hotel.
Tested by Michael Taylor.
E-mail questions to the Food Section at firstname.lastname@example.org.