At a Glance
- Career History: General surgeon (1983 to 2011)
- Hometown: Iron River, Mich.
- Alma Mater: University of Michigan, B.S. (biology), 1974; Wayne State Medical School, M.D., 1978
- Spouse: Judy Benishek
- Committees: House Veterans' Affairs Committee , House Natural Resources Committee
- D.C. Office: 514 Canon HOB
- District Office: 500 S. Stephenson, Suite 500Iron Mountain, MI 49920Phone: (906) 875 3751
- Web site
Path To Power
Benishek was born in Iron River, on Michigan's Upper Peninsula, near the border of Wisconsin and not far from Lake Superior.
He attended the University of Michigan, in the southern part of the state, graduating in 1974 with a degree in biology.
Benishek got into the House race to decrease spending and focus attention on creating jobs. He stayed to fight against Obama's health-care reform law and against abortion rights.
Benishek was one of the first tea party candidates.
Benishek supports extending the George W. Bush tax cuts, which he says help small businesses.
Benishek has supported plans by Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) and Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer (R).