At a Glance
- Career History: Professor, University of Nevada-Las Vegas, 1977-2009; Nevada State Senate member, 1989-2009 (minority leader, 1993-2009); Democratic nominee for Nevada governor, 2006.
- Birthday: May 23, 1950
- Hometown: Las Vegas, Nev.
- Alma Mater: College of William & Mary, B.A., 1970 (government); University of Georgia, M.A. 1973 (political science); Florida State University, Ph.D. 1976 (political science)
- Spouse: Thomas C. Wright
- Religion: Greek Orthodox
- Committees: Education and Labor; Homeland Security; Transportation and Infrastructure
- DC Office: 319 Cannon Building, Washington DC 20515-2803, (202) 225-3252
- District Office: 8215 S. Eastern Avenue, Suite 205,Las Vegas, Nev. 89123, (702) 387-4941
- Web site
Path to Power
Titus speaks in a twangy Southern drawl picked up from her upbringing in Tifton, Ga., where her grandfather owned a restaurant across from the courthouse that was a gathering spot for community officials to talk politics.
An uncle of hers served in the state legislature, and her father ran for the City Council. She majored in political science at the College of William & Mary and eventually received her Ph.D. from Florida State University.
During her single term in the House, Titus strongly supported her party and Obama on most economic initiatives as well as on legislation to curb the greenhouse gases blamed for global warming. She sought to help her state by sponsoring several bills aimed at easing the burden on foreclosure victims as well as boosting Nevada's solar and other renewable-energy businesses.
As a member of the Education and Labor Committee, Titus opposed the initial health-care reform bill when the committee passed it in July 2009. Her chief objection was a surtax on those making more than $280,000 annually ($300,000 for married couples) to pay for subsidies to help the uninsured buy policies.
Titus is a longtime friend of fellow Nevada Democratic Rep. Shelley Berkley and served as one of 14 bridesmaids at Berkley's 1999 wedding.
Titus also has cultivated supporters at the Obama White House. Vice President Joe Biden campaigned on her behalf in Las Vegas in November 2009.