At a Glance
- Career History: Alexandria, Va. Mayor (1985-1990); Alexandria, Va. Vice Mayor (1982-1984); Alexandria, Va. City Council (1979-1982)
- Birthday: May 16, 1945
- Hometown: Buffalo, N.Y.
- Alma Mater: Attended City University of New York (1967-1968); University of Pittsburgh, MPA, 1970
- Spouse: Separated (LuAnn)
- Religion: Catholic
- Committees: House Appropriations Committee
- DC Office: 2239 Rayburn House Office Building, Washington DC, 202/225-4376
- State/District Office: Alexandria, 703/971-4700
- Web site
Path to Power
Born in 1945 in Buffalo, N.Y., Moran was raised as one of seven children in an Irish family in the Boston suburb of Natick.
Moran attended Holy Cross College on a football scholarship. After a brief career as a stockbroker and a stint at graduate school, Moran moved to Washington, D.C. He held jobs with the Department of Health, Education and Welfare and the Library of Congress before landing a staff position on the Senate Appropriations Committee.
During the 111th Congress, Moran voted with House Democrats 97 percent of the time.
Moran is a liberal on social issues, supporting abortion rights and same-sex marriage rights.
Moran's brother, Virginia Del. Brian Moran (D), lost the 2009 Virgina gubernatorial primary to state Sen. Creigh Deeds (D).
In Congress, Moran has a close personal relationship with Terry Lierman, chief of staff to Rep. Steny Hoyer (D-Md.). He was close to the late Rep. John Murtha (D-Pa.).