At a Glance
- Career History: Texas Supreme Court Justice, (1989-1994); University of Texas Law School, (1989-1994); Texas Senate (1972-1984)
- Birthday: October 6, 1946
- Hometown: Austin, Texas
- Alma Mater: University of Texas, B.B.A. 1967; J.D. 1970
- Spouse: Libby
- Religion: Methodist
- Committees: Budget ; Ways and Means
- DC Office: 201 Cannon House Office Building, 202-225-4865
- District Office: Austin, 512-916-5921
- Web site
Path To Power
Born in 1946, Doggett is a lifelong resident of Austin.
An alumnus of the University of Texas, where he was student body president and graduated first in his undergraduate class, Doggett went on to earn his law degree from the school in 1972.
One of the most liberal members of Texas' delegation, Doggett voted with the majority of Democrats 96.7 percent of the time during the 111th Congress.
Doggett voted against the 2008 financial bailout, calling it a rash use of taxpayer money. Doggett supported raising the limit on the amount of deposits insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. as one way to stabilize markets.
In 2002, Doggett backed Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) as the party's House leader over the more moderate and fellow Democratic Texan Martin Frost.