At a Glance
- Career History: Idaho Representative (2006-2011); Managing Partner, Labrador Law Offices (2000 - 2011)
- Birthday: Dec. 8, 1967
- Hometown: Carolina, Puerto Rico
- Alma Mater: Brigham Young University, B.A. (1992); University of Washington, J.D. (1995)
- Spouse: Rebecca
- Religion: Mormon
- Committees: Natural Resources ; Oversight and Government Reform
- DC Office: 1523 Longworth House Office Building, (202) 225-6611
- State/District Office: Caldwell, (208) 454-5518; Coeur d'Alene, (208) 667-0127; Lewiston, (208) 743-1388; Meridian, (208) 888-3188
- Web site
Path To Power
Born in 1967 in Carolina, Puerto Rico, Labrador was raised by his mother who lost an advertising job for having a child out of wedlock. His mother would later become a television personality and a sales representative for Mars.
Educated in various institutions including a military school and a bilingual school, Labrador moved with his mother to Las Vegas, Nev. The two became Mormons and his mother rose to become a restaurant manager. Labrador attended Brigham Young University on the dime of his church bishop.
Labrador jumped into the 2010 House race casting himself as an outsider, both from Washington and his own party. "I thought we needed someone in the race with a reliable record, someone who had a history of standing up for conservative values," Labrador said.
On government spending, Labrador campaigned by calling to end future bailouts of firms such as mortgage giant Fannie Mae, auditing every government department and eliminating the Department of Education. He says future funding should be based on three priorities: national defense, protecting the elderly and promoting economic development.
Labrador was endorsed in his 2010 House race by ex-Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (R). He substituted for tea-party national idol Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) at "Fire Pelosi" speaking series. But overall, he had a rocky relationship with national Republican leaders, who endorsed another candidate in the GOP primary and embraced him only late in the game.