At a Glance
- Career History: Owner, Hanna Construction (1979-current), Partner, Gabriel Group (1992-2011)
- Birthday: 1951
- Hometown: Utica, NY
- Alma Mater: Reed College, B.A., 1976
- Spouse: Kim
- Committees: House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee
- DC Office: 319 Cannon HOBWashington, DC 20515Phone: 202-225-3665Fax: 202-225-1891
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Path To Power
Hanna grew up, along with his four sisters, around Utica, N.Y., an industrial town that once thrived on commerce from the Erie Canal and the textile trade. His father, a carpenter, died in 1971, when Hanna was 20.
He dropped out of school, intending to work in order to pay off family debts, but before he had turned 21, he had convinced the admissions staff at Reed College, in Portland, Ore., to take him on as a student.
Hanna may not be a typical rank-and-file member of the Republican Party, but his views are mainly conservative, with a streak of libertarianism. He is a member of the NRA, and he supports both abortion rights and civil unions for gay couples.
In 2008, Hanna said the Iraq war was "one of the worst foreign policy decisions in the history of this country."
Hanna was a longtime financial supporter of former moderate New York Rep. Sherwood Boehlert (R), who is on the board of the Alliance for Climate Protection. He also backed Sandy Treadwell, the current head of the New York Republican Party.
In his 2010 campaign, Rudy Giuliani endorsed him.