At a Glance
- Career History: Owner, Prestige Properties of New Smyrna Beach (1979-present); Member, Florida State House (1996-2004); Chair Of Board, United Way of Volusia County
- Birthday: Feb. 25, 1944
- Hometown: New Smyrna Beach, Fla.
- Alma Mater: Attended George Mason University and Pennsylvania State University; Stetson University, B.A., 1998
- Spouse: Divorced
- Religion: Methodist
- Committees: Financial Services; Science and Technology
- DC Office: 238 Cannon House Office Building
- State/District Office: Port Orange, 386-756-9798; Orlando, 407-208-1106
- Web site
Path to Power
Born in 1944, Kosmas was raised in the Washington, D.C. area.
Kosmas attended Pennsylvania State and George Mason universities before moving to Florida in 1973.
Through January 2010, Kosmas voted with her party 92.4 percent of the time during the 111th Congress.
In January 2010 Kosmas wrote a letter to Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack calling on him to issue a disaster declaration for Central Florida's farmers whose crops were hit by freezing temperatures. A declaration was made allowing farms throughout Florida to apply for grants and emergency loans.
Fellow House freshman Rep. Alan Grayson (D-Fla.), who represented a neighboring district, also served on the House Science and Technology subcommittee overseeing NASA. Though Grayson hewed closer to the party line, both lawmakers lost in 2010 in traditionally GOP districts. In August 2009, Vice President Joe Biden attended fundraisers for the two held in the same hotel in the same day.
Kosmas also worked with Sen. Bill Nelson (D-Fla.) and fellow Space Coast Rep. Bill Posey (R-Fla.) on issues related to space exploration.