At a Glance
- Career History: Schuylkill County Sheriff (1985-1992), Insurance broker for the Holden Insurance Agency (1980-1985), Probation officer (1980-1985)
- Birthday: March 5, 1957
- Hometown: St. Clair, Penn.
- Alma Mater: University of Richmond (1976-78), B.A. from Bloomsburg State University (1980)
- Spouse: Gwen Holden
- Religion: Catholic
- Committees: Agriculture Committee ; Transportation and Infrastructure Committee
- DC Office: 2417 Rayburn HOB: 202-225-5546
- District Offices: Berk County: (610) 921-3502; Dauphin/Perry County: (717) 234-5904; Lebanon County: (717) 270-1395; Schuykill County: (570) 622-4212
- Web site
Path to Power
The son of Joseph "Sox" Holden, a former Phillies player and a county commissioner, "Tim" Holden was born in 1957 in Schuylkill County.
After attending a Virginia prep school, Holden received a football scholarship from the University of Richmond. His athletic career was cut short when he contracted tuberculosis, but Holden received his bachelor's degree in sociology from Bloomsburg University.
A member of the Blue Dog Coalition, Holden is a centrist Democrat with conservative positions on social issues. He has supported a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage and has earned high grades from the National Rifle Association.
Strongly opposed to abortion rights, he initially voted against federal funding for stem-cell research before reversing his stance in 2007. Less conservative on fiscal issues, he has opposed a permanent repeal of the estate tax. Yet, he voted for the Republicans' bankruptcy reform in 2005.
Holden has endorsed Sen. Arlen Specter (D-Pa.) over Rep. Joe Sestak (D-Pa.) for the state's 2010 Democratic Senate primary.
For years the only Keystone State lawmaker on the House Agriculture Committee, Holden has held a joint community forum with fellow committee member and freshman Rep. Kathy Dahlkemper (D-Pa.) The two along with freshman Rep. Glenn Thompson (R-Pa.) form Pennsylvania's contingent on the committee that has traditionally lacked Northeastern representation.