Jesse Reed scored 14 points and John Schoof added 13 as American defeated Holy Cross, 69-54, on Sunday in Worcester, Mass.
The Eagles (6-7, 2-0 Patriot League) had all five starters score in double figures. Kyle Kager had 12 points, while Tony Wroblicky and Darius Gardner each chipped in 10. American shot 51 percent from the field and made all 11 of its free throws.
American jumped out to an early 17-6 as Schoof (W.T. Woodson) made two three-pointers, but the Crusaders climbed back to make it a six-point game at halftime.
Holy Cross (6-8, 0-2) pulled within four as Cullen Hamilton made a layup to open the second half. The Eagles countered with a 6-0 surge. Another three-pointer by Schoof ignited a 9-0 run, giving American its largest lead at 61-44 with 4 minutes 8 seconds remaining.
Dave Dudzinski paced the Crusaders with 13 points and six rebounds.
● NAVY 79, LAFAYETTE 71: Brandon Venturini scored 28 points and made 8 of 9 three-pointers as the Midshipmen defeated the Leopards in Annapolis.
Navy (6-7, 1-1 Patriot League) shot 51.1 percent from the field and was 11 for 14 from beyond the arc. Thurgood Wynn (Georgetown Prep) scored 15 points, and Worth Smith added 14 with six rebounds.
The Midshipmen overcame a 33-29 halftime deficit and opened the second half on a 17-6 run, with Venturini making two three-pointers and Smith adding two jumpers and a three-point play.
Lafayette (4-9, 0-2) crawled back and trailed by two after Bryce Scott’s layup, but Navy used an 8-0 surge to increase its lead to 10 with 34 seconds left.
Scott led Lafayette with 20 points.
Jonquel Jones (Riverdale Baptist) posted her third double-double in five games to lead George Washington to a 74-67 win over defending Atlantic 10 champion Saint Joseph’s in Philadelphia.
Jones, a sophomore, had 21 points and 14 rebounds, and the Colonials won their seventh straight game and improved to 11-4, 2-0. The Hawks fell to 11-3, 1-1.
● NAVY 67, LAFAYETTE 53: Kara Pollinger scored 15 points to lead four Midshipmen in double figures in a Patriot League win over the Leopards in Easton, Pa.
Jade Geif and Alix Membreno each scored 14 points for Navy (10-3, 2-0) in the victory over Lafayette (6-7, 0-2). Chloe Stapleton added 11.
● HOLY CROSS 63, AMERICAN 60: Despite a career-high 18 points from junior forward Arron Zimmerman, the Eagles (8-5, 1-1 Patriot League) fell to the Crusaders (10-3, 2-0) at Bender Arena.
Emily Parker led Holy Cross with 17 points.
● BOSTON COLLEGE 70, VIRGINIA TECH 63: Kristen Doherty and Nicole Boudreau each scored 16 points for the Eagles (10-5) in their win over the Hokies (10-4) in Chestnut Hill, Mass., in the Atlantic Coast Conference opener for both teams.
Virginia Tech’s Uju Ugoka scored a game-high 23 points, and Monet Tellier scored 17 on 8-for-10 shooting.
● PITTSBURGH 79, VIRGINIA 75: Kelsey Wolfe (Seneca Valley) and Faith Randolph (Good Counsel) scored 21 points apiece, but the Cavaliers (7-7, 0-1 ACC) lost to the Panthers (9-7, 1-1) in Charlottesville.
Brianna Kiesel had 26 points and seven assists for Pittsburgh.
● RICHMOND 49, RHODE ISLAND 43: Olivia Healy and Kristina King led the Spiders (7-8, 1-1 Atlantic 10) with nine points each in a home win over the Rams (5-10, 0-2).