Boxer Amir Khan withdraws appeal to IBF alleging improprieties in loss to D.C.’s Lamont Peterson
By — Gene Wang,
Amir Khan and his Golden Boy Promotions team have withdrawn their appeal to the International Boxing Federation that alleged improprieties in officiating and judging during the former junior welterweight champion’s loss to Lamont Peterson on Dec. 10, according to an attorney for the District fighter.
The move on the part of Khan’s team came one day before the IBF was scheduled to address the appeal formally and decide whether to order an immediate rematch. An IBF spokeswoman in a statement also confirmed the withdrawal of the appeal.
Last week the WBA mandated an immediate rematch following an appeal in December from Golden Boy, which voiced outrage over referee Joe Cooper deducting two points from Khan that proved decisive in the 12-round split decision at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center.
Khan and Golden Boy also questioned other circumstances after the fight, including what they charged were discrepancies in the judges’ scorecards and a then-unidentified man interfering with WBA supervisor Michael Walsh at ringside.
“We are pleased that Khan withdrew his protest with the IBF and that he realized that all these ancillary accusations were irrelevant to the performance in the ring,” said attorney Jeff Fried, who represents Peterson and sent paperwork to the IBF last week urging the sanctioning body to reject the appeal.
According to Fried, Khan’s team has offered an even split of revenues if granted a rematch. Barry Hunter, Peterson’s trainer, said through Fried that if Peterson were to go in that direction, the District “would be the ideal location.”
Peterson also could elect to vacate the WBA belt and pursue bouts with fighters other than Khan. Several weeks ago at a charity event in the District, Peterson said he was extremely interested in a fight with Manny Pacquiao, considered perhaps the best pound-for-pound boxer in the world.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.