Eight Ferraris, Lamborghini in Japan luxury car pileup, damage could exceed $1 million
A convoy of luxury cars including eight Ferraris, a Lamborghini and three Mercedes-Benz vehicles ended up in a pileup Monday when one driver skidded while trying to change lanes. As AP reported:
An outing of luxury sportscar enthusiasts in Japan ended in an expensive freeway pileup — smashing a stunning eight Ferraris, a Lamborghini and two Mercedes likely worth more than $1 million together.
Police say they believe the accident Sunday was touched off when the driver of one of the Ferraris tried to change lanes and hit the median barrier. He spun across the freeway, and the other cars collided while trying to avoid hitting his car.
Video of the crash aired by NTV, a major national network, showed several smashed, bright red Ferraris cluttering the freeway.
Even a used Ferrari in Japan can fetch $100,000 or more, meaning the total damage may be $1 million or more.
Police declined to comment on the total amount of damage, but said some of the vehicles were beyond repair.
NTV quoted the driver of one of the tow trucks brought in to clear the scene as saying it was the most expensive crash site he had ever seen.
No one was seriously injured, but police in Yamaguchi prefecture said 10 people were treated for bruises and cuts. Police say 14 cars were involved altogether.
The cars were part of a supercar convoy on its way to Hiroshima when the crash occurred, as Motor Authority explained:
It’s hard to gather what models were involved but from this local news footage we can see the wreckage of several 355s, a 360 Modena, and an F430. Sadly, due to the severity of the crash, most of the cars are likely to be written off.
According to Bloomberg , the cars were part of a supercar convoy heading from Kyushu to Hiroshima. They crashed at approximately 10:16 am local time Sunday morning on a rain-soaked Chugoku Expressway in Yamaguchi prefecture on the island of Honshu.
Charges may be filed against a 60-year old self-employed man involved in the crash, which took more than six hours to clear. As Bloomberg reported:
The person suspected of causing the accident, a 60-year-old self-employed man from Fukuoka prefecture, may face up to three months in jail or a fine of as much as 100,000 yen ($1,280), said Isejima, executive officer for Yamaguchi Prefecture’s Expressway Traffic Police unit.. The accident included a Ferrari F-360 that costs more than 18 million yen. It took longer than six hours to clear the highway of wreckage, Isejima said.
TV footage showed a Ferrari that had plowed into the outer guard rail, while another one had its engine bonnet almost ripped off.
Ferrari SpA, a unit of Fiat SpA, sold 493 cars in Japan last year, down from 548 in 2009, according to the Web site of the Japan Automobile Importers Association. All eight Ferraris involved in the accident were registered in Kyushu, police said. Miki Kataoka, a spokeswoman for Ferrari in Japan, declined to comment on the crash.
More from The Washington Post