Libyan militia accuses Egypt, UAE of airstrikes

Two airstrikes targeting Islamist militia positions in Libya’s capital killed 15 fighters and wounded 30 on Saturday. A senior militia leader accused Egypt and the United Arab Emirates of being behind the attacks on their posts.

The mysterious airstrikes Saturday were the second set in a week to target Islamist militia posts in the capital, Tripoli. They have fueled speculation that foreign powers are covertly intervening in Libya’s militia violence, because Libya’s air force does not possess the guided ordnance apparently used in the strikes and the country’s army is reeling from weeks of fighting driven by polarized politics.

The violence in Libya is rooted in the empowerment of militias since the 2011 ouster of longtime leader Moammar Gaddafi as transitional governments depended on them to maintain order in the absence of a strong police force or a unified military.

It also came as part of a backlash by Islamist factions after losing their power in parliament following June elections and in the face of a campaign by a renegade military general against extremist Islamist militias in Benghazi, Libya’s second-largest city.

A militia leader said the warplanes targeted the Interior Ministry and several militia positions, setting fire to a warehouse. He said two sons of the head of the military council of Misurata militias, Ibrahim Bin Rajab, were among the wounded. He spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to journalists.

Another militia member, spokesman Mohammed al-Gharyani, said that more than 30 fighters were wounded in the airstrikes but that the militia had not abandoned its positions, including the Interior Ministry, the army headquarters and the military police headquarters.

Gharyani said militia fighters from other areas were joining the Misurata forces, adding, “Our response will be severe.”

Similar airstrikes carried out Monday also targeted camps and areas occupied by Islamist militias from Misurata and allied groups.

A senior militia leader, Ahmed Hadiya, accused Egypt and the United Arab Emirates of involvement in the attacks, without elaborating.

Hadiya, speaking in the name of an umbrella group of Islamist militias called Dawn of Libya, said the groups reserve the right to retaliate. He also did not elaborate.

Egyptian Foreign Ministry spokesman Badr Abdel-Attie dismissed the accusations.

“We don’t pay attention to such talk. Our position is clear — we are with the Libyan people and not with this side or that,” he said by telephone. “We don’t interfere in the internal affairs” of neighbors.

There was no immediate comment from the Emirates.

Egypt had previously denied military involvement in Libya.

Algeria, Italy and other countries have also denied involvement. Libya’s government has called on the military to investigate.

Meanwhile, Cairo will host a meeting Monday for Libya’s neighbors to discuss ways to address the chaos in the oil-rich north-African nation.

Hadiya said the militia forces are “calling on parliament to convene urgently to take the necessary measures to protect state sovereignty.”

It was not clear what the groups expect from the parliament, in a country that has been split between rival militias and political groups, along Islamist and non-Islamist lines as well as geographical areas.

— Associated Press

world

Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Comments
Show Comments
Most Read World

world

Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters