Mubarak’s wife turns over some assets to Egyptian government
CAIRO — The wife of former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak relinquished some of her assets to the state on Monday, days after anti-corruption authorities ordered her detention.
An anti-corruption agency ordered Friday that former first lady Suzanne Mubarak be detained for 15 days during an investigation of allegations that she abused her husband’s influence for unlawful personal gain. The couple deny the allegations.
Suzanne Mubarak returned to a Cairo villa and gave authorities the power of attorney to withdraw up to $3.4 million, which authorities said she held, from two bank accounts, the official MENA news agency said.
An archiving official in South Sinai, Mohamed Ahmed Hamed, told Reuters that Suzanne Mubarak signed documents Monday in which she gave up her assets to the state.
Other judicial sources had earlier said her defense team would be signing the documents this week in an apparent attempt to avoid her detention.
Earlier Monday, the state newspaper al-Ahram said doctors failed to complete a heart test on the former first lady, potentially prolonging her stay in a hospital after suffering symptoms of a heart attack.
Hosni Mubarak, who led Egypt for three decades before he was ousted on Feb. 11 in a popular uprising, also suffered heart problems last month, which means neither can be transferred to prison as demanded by state prosecutors.
Some media reports have suggested that their family’s fortune may total billions of dollars.
The conspicuous wealth of senior officials was a major popular grievance in a country where about 40 percent of people live on less than $2 a day.
On Friday, Hosni Mubarak was interrogated about his ownership of a Sharm el-Sheikh villa estimated to be worth more than $6 million and about alleged personal use of a bank account owned by the Library of Alexandria, according to state media.