Retired Rear Adm. Norton C. Joerg, a senior Navy lawyer during the George W. Bush administration, told the lawyers that the new six-member “periodic review boards” will not decide whether the Pentagon is lawfully imprisoning their clients.
Rather, the panels will “assess whether continued law of war detention is necessary to protect against a continuing significant threat to the security of the United States,” Joerg said.
He offered no explanation for the late-night notices, which came during a long-running hunger strike by prisoners at Guantanamo over the conditions of their detention.
As of Sunday, the military said 46 detainees were malnourished enough to require forced feedings, which currently are conducted after dark in consideration of the holy month of Ramadan, when Muslims fast from dawn until dusk.
Once the daily fasting hours are over, according to prison spokesmen, Navy medical personnel offer to let a hunger striker drink a nutritional supplement before shackling him to a chair and snaking a tube up his nose and into his stomach to deliver the drink.
The International Committee of the Red Cross has urged the Obama administration to get on with the reviews. Army Lt. Col. Todd Breasseale, a Pentagon spokesman, would not say whether the first hearing would be held by mid-September or whether there is a target date for completion. He said only that the first hearing will take place “when conditions dictate.”
Also unclear is whether the review board members will go to Guantanamo to hear from the detainees or whether they will use a video link between the prison and Washington, as federal judges do when considering habeas corpus petitions. The six members on a panel represent the Pentagon; the Joint Chiefs of Staff; the Office of the Director of National Intelligence; and the Departments of State, Justice and Homeland Security.
Breasseale said Joerg is processing 71 of the prison’s 166 inmates for reviews: 46 “indefinite detainees,” a category created by an Obama task force in 2010 that includes prisoners considered too dangerous to release but for whom there is no evidence to justify a criminal trial, and 25 other detainees who in 2010 were listed as candidates for trials by military commissions or civilian courts.
Since then, the chief war-crimes prosecutor, Army Brig. Gen. Mark Martins, has decided to pursue fewer cases, citing a federal court ruling that “providing material support for terrorism” is not a war crime applicable to Guantanamo’s current detainee population.