Military lawyer says Nidal Hasan is seeking death sentence

Brigitte Woosley/AP - In this courtroom sketch, military prosecutor Col. Steve Henricks, right, speaks as Nidal Malik Hasan, center, and presiding judge Col. Tara Osborn look on during Hasan's court-martial Tuesday.

The court-martial of Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, the Army psychiatrist accused of carrying out the 2009 mass shootings at Fort Hood, Tex., was suspended Wednesday after a lawyer accused the defendant of deliberately trying to secure a death sentence.

Hasan, who faces 13 counts of murder and 32 counts of attempted murder, is representing himself at the trial on the same Army post in central Texas where the killings took place.

Latest from National Security

Navy looks at sleep research to address submariner fatigue

Commanders are given the OK to shift schedules to allow more rest time in light of findings.

Snowden defends his question to Putin on spying

The fugitive NSA leaker expresses incredulity at the Russian leader’s denial of mass surveillance.

4th U.S. Navy officer charged in bribery scheme

The Japan-based officer is accused of revealing ship schedules and other sensitive information.

Full coverage: NSA Secrets

Full coverage: NSA Secrets

Read all of the stories in The Washington Post’s ongoing coverage of the National Security Agency’s surveillance programs.

Hasan twice dismissed his legal team, but he has three standby lawyers on hand to offer him legal advice if he requests it. And Wednesday morning, one of them, Lt. Col. Kris Poppe, offered to step in to represent Hasan.

Poppe told the military judge, Col. Tara Osborn, that it is “clear [Hasan’s] goal is to remove impediments or obstacles to the death penalty and is working toward a death penalty.”

Poppe asked that his own responsibilities be minimized if Hasan insisted on continuing to seek his execution, saying the defendant was acting in a way that “we believe is repugnant to defense counsel and contrary to our professional obligations,” according to wire reports.

“I object. That’s a twist of the facts,” Hasan responded. He repeatedly asked the judge for permission to explain why Poppe’s claim was wrong but refused to do so in writing.

Osborn then cleared the courtroom to discuss the matter, and no witnesses were called for the rest of the day.

At the opening of his court-martial Tuesday, Hasan, who worked at Walter Reed Army Medical Center from 2003 to 2006, admitted responsibility for the attacks. “The evidence will clearly show that I am the shooter,” he said.

Hasan said he carried out the shootings, which prosecutors said targeted uniformed personnel and spared civilians, because he believed he was on the wrong side of a war against Islam.

Hasan, a 42-year-old U.S.-born Muslim who is paralyzed from the waist down after being shot by an Army police officer during the rampage, appeared to show little interest in defending himself on the first day of his trial.

Hasan has previously sought to plead guilty but is not able to do so under military rules governing cases that carry a potential death penalty. At earlier hearings, the judge ruled that Hasan could not defend himself by arguing that he was seeking to save the lives of Taliban leaders in Afghanistan.

The court-martial, which is taking place nearly four years after the shootings, has been delayed by lengthy legal arguments and requests from Hasan. He has been allowed to keep his beard, which is against military regulations, after arguing that it was an expression of his Muslim faith.

Executions are rare in the military justice system; the last one was carried out in 1961.

 
Read what others are saying